Bernhard, Margrave of Baden
|His Royal Highness|
|The Margrave of Baden|
|The Margravine and Margrave of Baden|
|Tenure||29 December 2022 – present|
|Born||27 May 1970|
Schloss Salem, Salem, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany
Stephanie Anne Kaul
|Issue||Hereditary Prince Leopold|
|Bernhard Max Friedrich August Gustav Ludwig Kraft|
|Father||Maximilian, Margrave of Baden|
|Mother||Archduchess Valerie of Austria|
Bernhard Max Friedrich August Gustav Louis Kraft, Margrave of Baden, Duke of Zähringen (born 27 May 1970) has been the head of the Grand Ducal House of Baden since 2022. The House of Baden ruled over the Grand Duchy of Baden until 1918. He has managed the family businesses since 1998.
A commercial lawyer by training, he studied business administration and law in Hamburg and Switzerland. Since 1998 Prince Bernhard has managed the family estates including Staufenberg Castle and the margravine wineries dedicated to preserving the grape variety Müller-Thurgau.  In the years 2000-2009 he oversaw the transfer of many family assets, including Eberstein Castle and parts of Schloss Salem to the German state in order to stabilise the family's finances.
Through his paternal grandmother, Princess Theodora, Bernhard was a grandnephew of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke often went to Germany to shoot with the family. In 2021, Bernhard was one of only 30 mourners at his granduncle's funeral at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. He also attended the state funeral of Queen Elizabeth II at Westminster Abbey, London, on 19 September, 2022, with his mother and his wife.
He succeeded as head of the House of Baden on 29 December 2022 upon the death of his father.
Marriage and children
At student party in Hamburg in 1998 Bernhard met Stephanie Anne Kaul (born 27 June 1966 at Uelzen), the daughter of Christian Kaul and his wife Hannelore Scheel. Stephanie grew up in Altona, Hamburg. She studied languages and worked as a model before working for publishers in Paris and Hamburg.
The couple soon begun a relationship which they originally kept a secret as Stephanie was not from a noble family and Bernhard was expected to contract an equal marriage. Once the relationship became known to him, Bernhard's father Margrave Max was opposed to the match. The Margrave later accepted the match and the couple married in a civil ceremony on 22 June 2001 and a religious ceremony the following day.
The couple have three sons:
- Leopold Bernhard Max Michael Ernst-August Friedrich Guillaume, Hereditary Prince of Baden (born 18 May 2002 at Ravensburg)
- Prince Friedrich Bernhard Leopold Christian Berthold Christoph of Baden (born 9 March 2004 at Ravensburg)
- Prince Karl-Wilhelm Bernhard Max Alexander Ernst-August Heinrich-Donatus Mathais of Baden (born 11 February 2006 at Ravensburg)
The family lives in Linzgau near Schloss Salem. 
Titles, styles and honours
As the heir apparent to the head of the Grand Ducal House of Baden, from birth Margrave Bernhard was formally styled His Royal Highness the Hereditary Prince of Baden. Since succeeding his father in 2022 he has been formally styled His Royal Highness the Margrave of Baden, Duke of Zähringen.
As head of the House of Baden, Margrave Bernhard is also the grand master of the House Order of Fidelity.
|8. Maximilian, Margrave of Baden|
|4. Berthold, Margrave of Baden|
|9. Princess Marie Louise of Hanover and Cumberland|
|2. Maximilian, Margrave of Baden|
|10. Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark|
|5. Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark|
|11. Princess Alice of Battenberg|
|1. Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden|
|12. Archduke Franz Salvator of Austria|
|6. Archduke Hubert Salvator of Austria|
|13. Archduchess Marie Valerie of Austria|
|3. Archduchess Valerie of Austria|
|14. Emmanuel, Hereditary Prince of Salm-Salm|
|7. Princess Rosemary of Salm-Salm|
|15. Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria|
- "Baden Royal Family". Monarchies of Europe. Archived from the original on April 16, 2010. Retrieved March 31, 2010.
- Königliche Hoheit im Schloss Salem (6 October 2014) Unabhängige Medienagentur Pflumm GmbH
- "Markgraf von Baden Weingut". Markgraf von Baden Weingut.
- Doughty, Eleanor (17 April 2021). "The historic family ties that prompted the Queen to invite German royalty to Prince Philip's funeral". The Telegraph. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- BBC News
- "Court Circular: April 17, 2021". The Times. 19 April 2021. Retrieved 20 April 2021.
- Stephanie hat ihren Prinzen (25 June 2001) Hamburger Abendblatt
- Folge 4: Erbprinz Bernhard von Baden; Stephanie Kaul (18 February 2005) B.Z Berlin
- "Königliche Hoheit im Schloss Salem". Rantlos. Archived from the original on 2018-12-31. Retrieved 2018-12-31.
|This article initially used material from the Wikipedia article Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (view authors). Changes by Royalpedia users can be viewed by clicking 'View history'.|