Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate
|Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate|
|Madame, Duchess of Orléans|
|A circa 1713 portrait of the Duchess after Rigaud. She rests her fingers on the crown of a Child of France, her rank by marriage.|
|Tenure||16 November 1671 – 9 June 1701|
|Born||27 May 1652|
Heidelberg Castle, Heidelberg
|Died||8 December 1722 (aged 70)|
Château de Saint Cloud, France
|Spouse||Philippe of France, Duke of Orléans|
|Issue||Alexandre Louis, Duke of Valois|
Philippe, Regent of France
Élisabeth Charlotte, Duchess of Lorraine
|House||House of Wittelsbach (by birth)|
Hoose of Orléans (by marriage)
|Father||Karl I Ludwig, Elector Palatine|
|Mother||Charlotte of Hesse-Kassel|
|Burial||10 December 1722|
Royal Basilica, Saint Denis, France
Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate, "Daughter of France by marriage" (27 May 1652 - 8 December 1722) was born a princess of the Palatinate and would marry Philippe of France, Duke of Orléans, Monsieur, the only brother of Louis XIV, Le Roi Soleil. (his first wife Princess Henrietta of England had died in 1670) In childhood she was known as Liselotte, and was be known at the French court simply as Madame her husband being known simply as Monsieur. Having left her native Germany she recorded a long correspondence with several relatives regarding various events at the French court.
Married to Philippe of France, Duke of Orléans on 16 November 1671, the couple had issue.
- Alexandre Louis d'Orléans, Duke of Valois (2 June 1673 – 16 March 1676) died in infancy;
- Philippe d'Orléans, Duke of Orléans (2 August 1674 – 2 December 1723) married Françoise Marie de Bourbon, Légitimée de France an had issue, later "Regent of France".
- Élisabeth Charlotte d'Orléans (13 September 1676 – 24 December 1744) married Léopold of Lorraine, Duke of Lorraine an haed issue.
Titles and styles
- 27 May 1652 – 16 November 1671 Princess Palatine Elisabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate, Countess Palatine of Simmern, Countess Palatine of the Rhine.
- 16 November 1671 – 9 June 1701 Her Royal Highness Madame, Duchess of Orléans.
- 9 June 1701 – 8 December 1722 Her Royal Highness Madame, Dowager Duchess of Orléans.